It’s that time of year again. The leaves are changing, the weather is cooling off, and it’s time to get your yard in order for winter. If you have a lot of trees on your property, then you know how hard it can be to chop them down by hand with an ax or chainsaw.
We all want our yards to look nice, but some people don’t have the skills or patience for manual labor work around their home, which means they need new tools like chainsaws. Not just any old chainsaw though, they need gas-powered ones because electric ones just won’t cut it when faced with large logs and branches!
Whether you’re looking for something powerful enough to fell towering oak trees or something more portable and lightweight, you’ll be able to find it on our list of the best gas chainsaw.
So, let’s get started with our best DIY gas chainsaw reviews.
6 Best Gas-Powered Chainsaws
|Poulan Pro PR4218||• 42cc, 2-stroke engine with 18" Bar|
• Automatic Oiler
• Super Clean Air Filter System
|Echo CS-400-18 Gas Chainsaw||• 40.2cc Engine|
• 18" Bar & Chain Included
• Easy Start Engine
|CRAFTSMAN S185Gas Chainsaw||• 42cc full crank Craftsman 2 cycle engine|
• Lighter in weight, without sacrificing power
• Designed for quicker, smoother and easier pull starts
|Remington RM4218CS Gas Chainsaw||• High output engine with 18-inch bar & chain|
• Lightweight durable poly chassis
• Quick start technology
|Blue Max 8901 Gas Chainsaw||• 45 cc high performance blue max engine|
• 30-percent more chain teeth reduces cutting time
• Quick start (cdi) ignition system
|Husqvarna Gas Chainsaw||• 55. 5cc powerful engine|
• Automatic chain oiler
• Simple, side-mounted chain tensioning system
1. Poulan Pro PR4218 – Best Gas Chainsaw
Wouldn’t it be great to find a product that checks all your boxes? Poulan Pro PR4218 Gas Chainsaw fits the bill. It offers enough power for any mid-grade job with its 2-stroke engine but doesn’t eat up all your fuel doing so by only using 42ccs of gas per hour.
The 18″ bar can tackle both smaller trims and larger projects alike. What more could you need in one chainsaw! Add on some equally smart features like an easy start and brake system, and you’ve got yourself a deal.
- The Poulan Pro chainsaw is powerful, easy to use, and tough as nails. Featuring the tuned exhaust for reduced vibration and noise, as well as an automatic gear-driven oiler that keeps bar and chain lubricated with no attention needed from the use
- With its efficient fuel consumption and reduced harmful emissions with Oxypower technology, one cord lasts all day while the other has barely any fuel left.
- The SuperClean Air Filter System is guaranteed to be clean and easy for you each time you use it.
- With a Poulan Pro chainsaw, you’re always sure to have a strong start with an effortless pull starting.
2. Echo CS-400-18 Gas Chainsaw
Echo tried to give you the brush-off, but it just won’t fly. Echo is a Gas Chainsaw with a 40.2cc engine and comes with an 18″ Bar & Chain Included! The 18″ bar and chain included trim your trees down to size in no time flat.
- The Echo CS-400-18 offers an easy start engine, always oil ready to go, and fully assembled for minimal setup.
- When you need the power of a chainsaw only with less effort spent on assembling, this saw is perfect.
- Some powerful features are year-round chain tensioning for top performance without reaching behind the saw while using it.
- A low kickback bar system also makes cutting safer by reducing the risk of injury.
Also Read: Best Electric Chainsaws Reviews – Buying Guide
3. CRAFTSMAN S185Gas Chainsaw
- 42cc full crank Craftsman 2 cycle engine
- Lighter in weight, without sacrificing power
- Designed for quicker, smoother and easier pull starts
Listen up, contractors! This Echo chainsaw has the CRAFTSMAN gas engine, which is powerful enough to cut through anything. Thanks to its high output, the 18-inch bar and chain will let you tackle big jobs with ease.
Your customers never have a headache when it comes to this chainsaw because all they do is open their toolbox and see that CRAFTSMAN quality.
- Craftsman’s 42-cc full crank 2-cycle engine provides greater power and less vibration for all types of cutting jobs, even if they are close to walls, without sacrificing performance.
- This chainsaw is small but powerful, takes seconds to start it up, and gets the job done in half of the time.
- To go along with the lightweight design, Craftsman’s experts made sure that the Echo saw features power without weight by designing it with a stronger frame than ever before yet lighter than other models on the market.
4. Remington RM4218CS Gas Chainsaw
Remington RM4218CS Gas Chainsaw
- High output engine with 18-inch bar & chain
- Lightweight durable poly chassis
- Quick start technology
Take on tough-to-cut tasks with this Remington RM4218CS gas chainsaw. Thanks to the powerful 42cc full crank 2 cycle engine that provides greater power and less vibration, you’ll have a lot more success cutting through wood, branches, and brush.
Whatever you need to get chopped down or cut up, this Remington chainsaw is an excellent choice.
Even the most tasking jobs are now within your reach with this gas saw near-impossible to stop.
- This versatile saw includes a low-kickback chain that quickly cuts through even hardwood, allowing you to get your tasks done faster.
- With a lightweight poly chassis, your saw is durable so that you can use it for years without worry.
- Whether you have a lot of trees or just one, now there’s a Remington RM4218CS for you! Its quickstart technology makes it easy to get going, and the adjustable auto chain oiler is designed to keep your saw working at its best.
- Attain power, comfort, and quality with the Remington RM4218CS gas chainsaw. Designed to deliver high performance in a comfortable, user-oriented design.
5. Blue Max 8901 Gas Chainsaw
- 45 cc high performance blue max engine
- 30-percent more chain teeth reduces cutting time
- Quick start (cdi) ignition system
This chainsaw is made for high performance, so you can do more than just cut down trees. It’s also proven environmentally friendly as it has a blue max engine that offers up to 35-percent higher performance than alternative brands.
Weighing less than 19 pounds, this gas-powered saw lets you take it with you anywhere, thanks to its compact size and lightweight frame.
Whether you’re working in the backyard or at an advanced level of forestry management, Blue Max 8901 Chainsaw leaves other comparable models in the dust due to its superior design and power sources.
Unlike other gas saws, which require maintenance like changing fuel filters and spark plugs regularly, our chainsaws require no such costly upkeep – making them both easy and cost-effective to use.
- 30% more chain teeth means less time cutting wood, an anti-vibration handle, so your arm doesn’t ache after long jobs, and a 25:1 fuel mixture for more power when we need it most.
- Blue Max gas chainsaw is easy and safe to use. It features a reliable automatic chain oiler that delivers the perfect amount of lubrication every time you pull the trigger.
- This lightweight chainsaw has an ergonomic design with a low vibration system uncomplicated for any user to manage.
- The Blue Max 8901 saw is the perfect chainsaw for homeowners due to its ability to quickly and efficiently handle tough debris removal tasks.
6. Husqvarna Gas Chainsaw
- 55. 5cc powerful engine
- Automatic chain oiler
- Simple, side-mounted chain tensioning system
Want to cut through anything?
The Husqvarna gas chainsaw is perfect if you want to cut through the toughest of terrain. It has a 55.5cc motor for maximum power and can cater to highly demanding landowners or homeowners.
The 18-inch guide bar and chain make it possible thanks to its fantastic cutting performance on any surface, including hardwood logs and boards!
- With the automatic chain oiler, you may tackle branches up to 1-inch in diameter without breaking a sweat.
- Two-cycle engine, inertia activated chain brake for safety while operating.
- The quick-release air filter makes it simple to clean and replace the air filter, so it doesn’t get obstructed during use.
- The side-mounted chain tensioning device allows for fast adjustments while you’re working!
What to Consider Before Buying Gas-Powered Chainsaw – Buyer Guide
Gas chainsaws are complex machines that may be used to chop branches, slice firewood, and cut down trees. Continue reading to learn about important things to consider before purchasing a gas chainsaw.
Guide Bar Length
This is the essential feature to consider when purchasing a gas chainsaw. Why is this the case? Because the length of the guide bar and chain determines how thick of a piece of wood you can cut.
As a result, it influences which tree-related projects you may accomplish, such as cutting down trees, chopping firewood, and removing branches.
The chainsaw bar is also known as the “blade.” And this blade is what the chain is connected to and revolves around to chop wood. Gas chainsaws come in a range of lengths, but on average, you’ll find a 12 to 72-inch range.
When it comes to choosing the correct size chainsaw for your tree-related tasks, you’ll want a model with the appropriate chainsaw blade length for efficient and safe cutting.
Here are the most frequent gas chainsaw lengths, as well as their associated jobs:
Two kinds to choose from
Two kinds of oilers are available, one being the manual kind. This requires you to keep track of the oil level and top it off when needed, which can be pretty time-consuming.
An automatic oiler is much easier to use because you don’t need to monitor the oil level or refill it periodically.
There is a downside to this type of oiler, however. If the automatic one malfunctions, it’s possible for you not to know there’s a problem until the chainsaw unexpectedly runs out of oil and suffers damage.
Automatic — More convenient but slightly more expensive than manual types
For most homeowners, we recommend a model with an automatic oiler.
This is another safety feature you should look for on a gas chainsaw. It’s a device that stops the chain from spinning immediately after a trigger on the saw’s handle is released.
Why do you need this? Because it helps protect against situations where your hand or finger gets too close to the cutting area, which can cause injury.
Toolless Tension Adjustment
Ah, tensioning. The never-ending battle to keep your chain tightened adequately so it can slice through wood without slips and kicks back.
If you’ve struggled with maintaining the proper tension on your chainsaw, this feature is for you.
With a toolless system, adjusting the tightness of the chain becomes simple and quick to do.
There’s no need to use a wrench, and you also avoid the risk of injury from applying too much pressure when tightening.
This is a feature that assists you in felling trees, bucking them into shorter pieces.
Typically, it’s a small metal spike below the saw’s handle, which helps guide the tree as it comes down and keeps the chainsaw from rotating. This way, you’re able to maintain control of your chainsaw and avoid injury to your legs.
Now, price matters in most cases, but is overpaying worth the extra expense when it comes to gas chainsaws? That depends on how you plan to use your chainsaw and what kind of jobs you want it for.
For example, a more affordable chainsaw will suffice if you only have a small yard with several small trees.
If you’re looking for a gas chainsaw to tackle larger projects around your farm or property, such as felling trees and chopping up firewood, you’ll need a model that’s durable enough to handle it.
In this case, you may have to spend some extra money on a more robust and highly capable chainsaw.
The two major types of motors found on gas chainsaws are single-cylinder and double-cylinder.
Single-cylinder models run more quietly than the latter, but they’re also less powerful. If you’re looking for a smaller chainsaw that can still get the job done, this is your best bet.
We recommend that if you’re looking for a chainsaw that will be used for heavy-duty tasks, like cutting up firewood and felling trees, go with a model with a double-cylinder motor.
There are two kinds of safety mechanisms on chainsaws: the manual and the automatic kind.
Some features that fall under this category include a brake system, a chain catcher to help prevent injury from kickback, and anti-vibration components.
No matter what type of gas chainsaw you’re looking for, opt for a model with automatic safety mechanisms over the manual. This is because it can save you time and effort in keeping your chainsaw running, plus it’s more convenient.
An air cleaner works like a filter and helps keep the oil separated from the gas entering the carburetor.
It also reduces emissions and improves the performance of your chainsaw.
We recommend models with low-maintenance air cleaners for most homeowners because they’re easy to maintain and don’t require that you frequently replace their parts.
FAQs About Gas-Powered Chainsaws
How long should you let a chainsaw warm up?
With newer models, you don’t have to wait for a chainsaw to warm up before using it. If you’re using an older model that requires time to warm up first, then this is something you want to do.
Chainsaws should also be turned off during breaks in order to avoid overheating the engine.
Is it possible to sharpen a chainsaw chain?
Absolutely! You can do this yourself or have it done by a professional. It’s best to have your chainsaw chain professionally sharpened if you don’t know what you’re doing.
How can I determine when my chainsaw chain has reached the end of its service life?
A chainsaw chain can be determined to be done for if it’s worn down and the gauge is excessively thin. However, you should also pay attention to how often and how hard your chainsaw works and replace your chainsaw’s chain accordingly.
Choosing the best gas chainsaws should be easy if you know what factors to consider. It also helps to determine how often and for what kind of jobs you’ll use your chainsaw so that you know which features are necessary.
When in doubt, opt for a model with automatic safety mechanisms to reduce the chances of injury due to kickback. But, if you do plan on purchasing a manual chainsaw, make sure you always pay attention and keep your hands and legs away from the chains at all times.
We hope we have helped you in your search for gas chainsaws.
Thank you for spending some time on our website; make sure to check out our other articles about different kinds of power tools.